On average, 30-34% of American boys aged 6-8 feel some sort of dissatisfaction with their bodies. This alarmingly high number may surprise you.
Read more »
Read more »
Watch on YouTube »
The kidsmediacentre is a research centre and children's industry think tank at Centennial College's Story Arts Centre. Working with our Children's Media Program and ECE Labs, we research children's media experiences and provide a range of creative research tools to help kids' content producers develop meaningful and inspiring entertainment.
An Ethical Framework
kidsmediacentre launches groundbreaking Ethical Framework and Best Practices Report for Ontario children's developers
The kidsmediacentre, faculty and students at Centennial College embarked on a research journey to better understand developer challenges, practices and attitudes around content creation in the fast moving children's digital landscape.
Our goal was to develop a framework for understanding and creating ethical and appropriate marketing practices for reaching young audiences.Research details »
Media Literate Kids
Kids' Panel - Picks & Pans | A savvy group of kids with a strong point of view about the media and the culture they consume.
Read what our kids' panel media critics have to say as they deconstruct the culture.
- Angus says: "I went to Skyzone over the March break with my mom and brother and friends. So much fun to go over March break, even though it was pack..."
- Emily says: "In her latest kidsmediacentre kids' panel review, Emily looks at "Superworm" by author Julia Donaldson and illustrator Axel Scheffler...."
- Griffin says: "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo is one of the most beautiful stories I’ve ever read. I recommend it for rea..."
- Isabel says: "Virtual cats come a close second to real ones, which is why Neko Atsume: Kitty Collector is the app for you. I am a giant fan of this a..."
- Mac says: "There are so many strips to read in The Big Book of Peanuts: All the Daily Strips From the 1960s that you can read it for a very long t..."
- Jolie says: "Mystery Diners is an awesome 30-minute TV show on the Food Network. Although Mystery Diners may not be right for all people, older kids..."
- Seth says: "The Maze Runner trilogy is a fantastic young-adult book series. If you enjoyed the Hunger Games you will love these books...."
- Maryam says: "Jessie is my favourite TV show right now. I watch it so much my Mom asked me why I like this show more than other shows. I decided to d..."
- Angus says: "I loved Zootopia and so did my mom, so it's good for both adults and kids. It was full of action and excitement. It is a super film...."
- Emily says: "This week, Emily shares her thoughts on one of her favourite shows — the Numtums!..."
- Body Image Issues Affect Boys, Too
- Shopkins: Not Completely Harmful But Not Completely Harmless Either
Shopkins was launched in 2014 by Moose Toys, an Australian company specializing in developing and distributing products for kids all around the world.
- Singing Builds the Bond Between Parent and Child
I recently had the opportunity to play the adult watching young children take part in activities which would surely affect their development and their nostalgic memory.
- Virtual Reality is Also Kid Stuff
The future is already here. 2016 has been predicted to be the year when Virtual Reality will explode, with a series of headsets on sale and enormous amounts of games available for download.
- Big Screen to Small Screen: The Changing Trend in Book Adaptations
In a millennial culture so intrinsically tied up in visual media, the new mantra for popular storytelling has been explicitly stated: If it can be written in a book, why not show it on the big screen?
- Manga 101
What is Manga? View image | gettyimages.com Manga is one of those topics that you either know nothing about or way too much about, because once you know it’s out…
- Master’s of Children’s Literature: Baby Books Done Right
The gap has been bridged! New parents who dread putting down their favourite Poe or Austen can now teach their babies the joys of classic lit from Day 1!
- Long Live Puppets!
Adults today can reminisce about their favourite puppet characters from the shows they watched as kids. But what about do today’s kids?
- The Bear Essentials: From Childhood Inspiration to Adult Creation
Growing up I watched many shows with bear protagonists like Little Bear and Winnie the Pooh. Those shows are where my later fascination with bears began.
- Class of 2025: The Tech-Savvy Generation
For today’s tech-savvy kids, computers, tablets and smartphones are the new paper, pencils and crayons. Gone are the days of writing everything on paper.
Is your children's entertainment property sufficiently EPIC to make the grade?
Finally, a strategic planning and user engagement research centre for the children's content industry in Canada!Read more »
Applied Research Partnerships = Funding ($) and support for kids' cross-platform properties
Consider partnering with Centennial to help grow your kids' brand. Our interdisciplinary faculty and all-star students apply their expertise to help develop your children's property!Read more »
Social Science Research
Exploring children's media futures
Using a combination of innovative research methods and collective creativity, the kidsmediacentre works on behalf of children's creative industries to generate knowledge and applied opportunities for those connected to the children's space.Read more »
Leaders Talk Kids' Media
Missed that last youth industry conference? Hear what leaders in the kids industry have to say about developing engaging and relevant content for kids.
This School's Got Talent
Does your kids' project need talent to deliver on those deliverables?
Our well-rounded, multi-talented students are the next generation of content creators and can help move your entertainment project forward!Read more »
The Children's Media Program is a one-of-a-kind post-graduate program focused on writing, production and management, preparing you for a new career as a highly-skilled children's content producer.Read more »
- "Any experienced and successful Children's Producer knows you need to constantly go back to your audience. The kidsmediacentre knows the value of research and testing a property to make sure it's striking the right chord. We have been connected to two kmc research properties and in both cases the content benefited greatly from their indepth analysis and insight."
-Pat Ellingson, Creative Head, TVOkids
- "Working with Debbie and the kidsmediacentre was an excellent experience. The knowledge base that was brought to the focus testing was exceptional, kmc's rapport and ease when working with children during our testing and the final research report all exceeded our expectations. I would work with the kidsmediacentre again in an instant!"
-Diane Williamson, President, Digital Wizards Inc.
- "The kidsmediacentre's usability study on the Think Big Invention Machine helped us assess the game's difficulty level and whether we had accomplished our goal of communicating core science concepts to the players."
-Dorothy Vreeker, Digital Media Director, Breakthrough Entertainment
- "As producers, we utilized the services of Debbie Gordon and the kidsmediacentre to spearhead focus groups during the development process of one of our pre-school shows. Needless to say, Debbie's research proved invaluable. The results of the study allowed us to better define our market, identify the glitches that needed work, and understand the rapidly changing trends and viewing habits of our target demographic. I could not recommend the kidsmediacentre and its research program more highly."
-Liliana Vogt, VP, Development, 9 Story Entertainment