The gap has been bridged! New parents who dread putting down their favourite Poe or Austen can now teach their babies the joys of classic lit from Day 1!
Read more »
Read more »
Watch on YouTube »
Watch on YouTube »
The kidsmediacentre is a research centre and children’s industry think tank at Centennial College’s Story Arts Centre. Working with our Children’s Media Program and ECE Labs, we research children’s media experiences and provide a range of creative research tools to help kids’ content producers develop meaningful and inspiring entertainment.
An Ethical Framework
kidsmediacentre launches groundbreaking Ethical Framework and Best Practices Report for Ontario children's developers
The kidsmediacentre, faculty and students at Centennial College embarked on a research journey to better understand developer challenges, practices and attitudes around content creation in the fast moving children’s digital landscape.
Our goal was to develop a framework for understanding and creating ethical and appropriate marketing practices for reaching young audiences.Research details »
Media Literate Kids
Kids' Panel - Picks & Pans | A savvy group of kids with a strong point of view about the media and the culture they consume.
Read what our kids' panel media critics have to say as they deconstruct the culture.
- Griffin says: "The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart is a book for any kid who requires these things in their life: action, adventure..."
- Isabel says: "I first discovered Shawn Mendes' angelic voice after a vocal class peer sang Shawn's first hit “Life of the Party” for a solo perfo..."
- Aidan says: "If you’ve ever been interested in learning code, code.org is the perfect opportunity to be informed about code in a fun way. 9/10 - H..."
- Jolie says: "The best things about getting ebooks from the library are you don't need to carry around real books, it’s free, and it's fun reading ..."
- Seth says: "Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation takes the best elements from all of the Mission Impossible movies and combines them into one great fil..."
- Maryam says: "Rainbow Loom is a fun crafting hobby where you can make cool bracelets and accessories out of small rubber bands. It can be used by kid..."
- Celeste says: "kidsmediacentre reviewers Celeste & Lola checked out some of the best Ice Cream shops in Toronto. Take a look at their results and try ..."
- Lola says: "kidsmediacentre reviewers Celeste & Lola checked out some of the best Ice Cream shops in Toronto. Take a look at their results and try ..."
- Jolie says: "A little while ago I downloaded Monument Valley to my iPad and I love it. The award-winning game is fun and you have to use your brain ..."
- Zach says: "Ant-Man was a relatively good movie. It was action-packed, comedic and well-scripted. Ant-Man is definitely one of the better movies Ma..."
- Master’s of Children’s Literature: Baby Books Done Right
- Long Live Puppets!
Adults today can reminisce about their favourite puppet characters from the shows they watched as kids. But what about do today’s kids?
- The Bear Essentials: From Childhood Inspiration to Adult Creation
Growing up I watched many shows with bear protagonists like Little Bear and Winnie the Pooh. Those shows are where my later fascination with bears began.
- Class of 2025: The Tech-Savvy Generation
For today’s tech-savvy kids, computers, tablets and smartphones are the new paper, pencils and crayons. Gone are the days of writing everything on paper.
- Outer Space: A Paradise for the Imagination
For kids, space offers an opportunity to dream like nothing else can. It gives them a reason to study math and physics and astronomy.
- Can Our Interests as Children Dictate Our Future?
I believe our interests stem from our surroundings and environment as we grow up. What you’re exposed to can help develop an interest.
- It’s The Bond That Counts
There are so many franchises bringing together grandparents and their grandkids, parents and their children, and that is something I can get behind.
- Stereotype Busting Disney Movies: Re-framing the Princess/Prince Paradigm
Disney movies have definitely seen a change since the days of the strong and silent prince sweeping his submissive princess off her feet.
- Put Your Cellphone Down: Technology and Distracted Parenting
Many parents don’t apply the same limits on their kids’ tech time to their own. This detachment from parenting toward technology could impede a child’s ability to form strong family attachments.
- Toy Companies Thwarting Children’s Imagination
Kids toys give me the impression imagination is no longer required. At Christmas, the toys my little cousin received had me thinking about how much it’s all changed.
Is your children’s entertainment property sufficiently EPIC to make the grade?
Finally, a strategic planning and user engagement research centre for the children’s content industry in Canada!Read more »
Applied Research Partnerships = Funding ($) and support for kids' cross-platform properties
Consider partnering with Centennial to help grow your kids’ brand. Our interdisciplinary faculty and all-star students apply their expertise to help develop your children’s property!Read more »
Social Science Research
Exploring children's media futures
Using a combination of innovative research methods and collective creativity, the kidsmediacentre works on behalf of children’s creative industries to generate knowledge and applied opportunities for those connected to the children’s space.Read more »
Leaders Talk Kids' Media
Missed that last youth industry conference? Hear what leaders in the kids industry have to say about developing engaging and relevant content for kids.
This School's Got Talent
Does your kids’ project need talent to deliver on those deliverables?
Our well-rounded, multi-talented students are the next generation of content creators and can help move your entertainment project forward!Read more »
The Children’s Media Program is a one-of-a-kind post-graduate program focused on writing, production and management, preparing you for a new career as a highly-skilled children’s content producer.Read more »
- “Any experienced and successful Children’s Producer knows you need to constantly go back to your audience. The kidsmediacentre knows the value of research and testing a property to make sure it’s striking the right chord. We have been connected to two kmc research properties and in both cases the content benefited greatly from their indepth analysis and insight.”
—Pat Ellingson, Creative Head, TVOkids
- “Working with Debbie and the kidsmediacentre was an excellent experience. The knowledge base that was brought to the focus testing was exceptional, kmc’s rapport and ease when working with children during our testing and the final research report all exceeded our expectations. I would work with the kidsmediacentre again in an instant!”
—Diane Williamson, President, Digital Wizards Inc.
- “The kidsmediacentre’s usability study on the Think Big Invention Machine helped us assess the game’s difficulty level and whether we had accomplished our goal of communicating core science concepts to the players.”
—Dorothy Vreeker, Digital Media Director, Breakthrough Entertainment
- “As producers, we utilized the services of Debbie Gordon and the kidsmediacentre to spearhead focus groups during the development process of one of our pre-school shows. Needless to say, Debbie’s research proved invaluable. The results of the study allowed us to better define our market, identify the glitches that needed work, and understand the rapidly changing trends and viewing habits of our target demographic. I could not recommend the kidsmediacentre and its research program more highly.”
—Liliana Vogt, VP, Development, 9 Story Entertainment