Tech is part of our lives and can be effective at keeping kids occupied. But there needs to be a limit on how much of their worldview comes from a screen.
Read more »
Parents, Back to You: New Screen Time Guidelines for Children
Tech is part of our lives and can be effective at keeping kids occupied. But there needs to be a limit on how much of their worldview comes from a screen.Blog archive »
The kidsmediacentre is a research centre and children's industry think tank at Centennial College's Story Arts Centre. Working with our Children's Media Program and ECE Labs, we research children's media experiences and provide a range of creative research tools to help kids' content producers develop meaningful and inspiring entertainment.
An Ethical Framework
kidsmediacentre launches groundbreaking Ethical Framework and Best Practices Report for Ontario children's developers
The kidsmediacentre, faculty and students at Centennial College embarked on a research journey to better understand developer challenges, practices and attitudes around content creation in the fast moving children's digital landscape.
Our goal was to develop a framework for understanding and creating ethical and appropriate marketing practices for reaching young audiences.Research details »
Media Literate Kids
Kids' Panel - Picks & Pans | A savvy group of kids with a strong point of view about the media and the culture they consume.
Read what our kids' panel media critics have to say as they deconstruct the culture.
- Kris says: "The premise of the Space Between Us was interesting but the movie’s plot was underwhelming. In my opinion, it receives a 3/5 rating...."
- James says: "For my 15th birthday I was able to upgrade from the iPhone 5c to last year's model, the iPhone 6s. This has by far been my favourite re..."
- Ava Joy says: "Ava Joy tells you about the best parts of the movie Sing! Also check out her bonus video where she shows you a craft you can make after..."
- Julia says: "It's a weeknight. You look out the window and see snow. You open a browser, head to snowdaypredictor.com, punch in your postal code and..."
- Solange says: "Nine-year-old Solange lays out the best traits of Stuck In The Middle...."
- James says: "On November 25th The Weeknd released his fourth studio album with the name Starboy. I'd definitely recommend this album to anyone!..."
- Julia says: "La La Land is a movie musical made for dreamers. It's here to inspire, and put a whimsical smile on your face. It left me mesmerized...."
- Ava Joy says: "She wants to tell you about the movie Trolls, but she won’t reveal the ending!..."
- Emanuel says: "I love the How to Train Your Dragon books because they are funny and cool. The main character is a boy named Hiccup. His adventures are..."
- Kris says: "Color Switch is a very entertaining free game that doesn't require wi-fi and can be enjoyed by all ages. It's a great time waster...."
- Parents, Back to You: New Screen Time Guidelines for Children
- Indigenous Reads
A lady came into the kid’s bookstore where I work a couple of days ago. She gravitated immediately towards the display showcasing Indigenous kids’ stories.
- Rebels For a Cause
There are so many different ways to connect with people to spread positive messages online, and lots of children are trying to make a difference using social media.
- The YouTube Monolith: Ruler of Children’s Media
YouTube was born in 2005, and ever since has steadily risen into a media powerhouse by evolving and adapting to the desires of viewers.
- A look at YouTube’s top kids channel: Little Baby Bum
Me and millions of toddlers share a fascination: Little Baby Bum. Little Baby Bum is the top education channel on YouTube. It features animated children’s songs and nursery rhymes like “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”.
- Death and children’s books: Is it ever too soon?
Charlotte’s Web and Bridge to Terabithia bring us joy and fill us with nostalgia. But they also contain a topic that makes even adults uncomfortable: death.
- Gender Neutral Marketing for Toys
When Mattel released its ad for Moschino Barbie it caused a stir. One of the ad’s stars was a boy. Male Barbie fans were enthused while many were outraged.
#MakeMulanRight is a petition circling social media. Its goal was for the live-action in-production Mulan movie to get an Asian writer and a script change.
- Being Barb: The Timelessness of the Everywoman Heroine
The hit show Stranger Things portrays Nancy Wheeler as the show’s heroine. But as fans have pointed out, another character makes for an even better heroine.
- Why I Let My Boy Play with Barbie
There's no better way to #BeSuper than being you! How do you express yourself through style? #Barbie Click the link in our bio to shop! A photo posted by Barbie…
Is your children's entertainment property sufficiently EPIC to make the grade?
Finally, a strategic planning and user engagement research centre for the children's content industry in Canada!Read more »
Applied Research Partnerships = Funding ($) and support for kids' cross-platform properties
Consider partnering with Centennial to help grow your kids' brand. Our interdisciplinary faculty and all-star students apply their expertise to help develop your children's property!Read more »
Social Science Research
Exploring children's media futures
Using a combination of innovative research methods and collective creativity, the kidsmediacentre works on behalf of children's creative industries to generate knowledge and applied opportunities for those connected to the children's space.Read more »
Leaders Talk Kids' Media
Missed that last youth industry conference? Hear what leaders in the kids industry have to say about developing engaging and relevant content for kids.
This School's Got Talent
Does your kids' project need talent to deliver on those deliverables?
Our well-rounded, multi-talented students are the next generation of content creators and can help move your entertainment project forward!Read more »
The Children's Media Program is a one-of-a-kind post-graduate program focused on writing, production and management, preparing you for a new career as a highly-skilled children's content producer.Read more »
- "Any experienced and successful Children's Producer knows you need to constantly go back to your audience. The kidsmediacentre knows the value of research and testing a property to make sure it's striking the right chord. We have been connected to two kmc research properties and in both cases the content benefited greatly from their indepth analysis and insight."
-Pat Ellingson, Creative Head, TVOkids
- "Working with Debbie and the kidsmediacentre was an excellent experience. The knowledge base that was brought to the focus testing was exceptional, kmc's rapport and ease when working with children during our testing and the final research report all exceeded our expectations. I would work with the kidsmediacentre again in an instant!"
-Diane Williamson, President, Digital Wizards Inc.
- "The kidsmediacentre's usability study on the Think Big Invention Machine helped us assess the game's difficulty level and whether we had accomplished our goal of communicating core science concepts to the players."
-Dorothy Vreeker, Digital Media Director, Breakthrough Entertainment
- "As producers, we utilized the services of Debbie Gordon and the kidsmediacentre to spearhead focus groups during the development process of one of our pre-school shows. Needless to say, Debbie's research proved invaluable. The results of the study allowed us to better define our market, identify the glitches that needed work, and understand the rapidly changing trends and viewing habits of our target demographic. I could not recommend the kidsmediacentre and its research program more highly."
-Liliana Vogt, VP, Development, 9 Story Entertainment